Beyond Beauty:The Measure Of Life
Beyond Beauty:The Measure Of Life
At the first burial, only four people were invited to share. The first speaker cried deeply and said, “I will miss mummy.” Then she struggled, paused, and added that the woman was beautiful… and that people should avoid making her angry because she could be destructive. That was all.
The next speaker stood up, clearly overwhelmed, but words failed her. She repeated that she would miss her.
The third spoke about appearance, how the woman dressed well, matched her clothes from head to toe, and looked elegant. Then she ended with, “I will miss her.”
And that was it.
A month later, I attended another burial. Again, the anchor invited people to speak—but this time, almost every hand in the room went up. Including mine. That alone startled me.
Only a few were selected. But when the first person spoke, the atmosphere shifted.
“She was always there for me , emotionally, morally, spiritually…” She couldn’t finish her sentence before breaking down in tears.
Another person said, “I am who I am today because she believed in me.”
Someone else stood up and said, “I don’t know how to move forward without her. She was my strength.”
The last speaker simply asked, “Why do valuable people die?”
In that moment, something pierced my heart.
Impact is not noise.
Impact is not beauty.
Impact is not presence alone.
Impact is what people carry with them because you existed in their lives.
That day, I asked myself a difficult question:
If my voice were silenced today, what would people struggle to live without?
Impact does not always look grand. Sometimes it is quiet and unnoticed. A sincere “Good morning, I hope you’re okay.” A check-in when no one else remembers. Showing up when it’s inconvenient. Encouraging someone when they are unsure. Standing by someone when it costs you nothing but time , and everything in meaning.
Impact stretches beyond one moment. It lives in different dimensions. Some plant seeds. Some water. Some nurture silently. And long after they are gone, their presence continues to speak.
So the real question is not “How many people know me?”
It is “Whose life is better because I cared?”
We may not all have crowds at our funerals , but we all have opportunities to leave footprints in hearts while we are still here.
What kind of impact are you making?
And how are you making it?
"A true millionaire isn't the one with millions but the one that impact million lives"
Quotes by Pastor Sam Adeyemi
✍🏽 Written by Maria Jacobs
Christian writer & faith blogger
🌿 https://mariajacobsfaith.blogspot.com
#LegacyMatters #LivingWithPurpose #ImpactThatLasts
#ChristianReflection #FaithAndLife #PurposefulLiving
#EverydayImpact #LifeBeyondSelf #MariaJacobsFaith
Hmmm, thank you ma, the little efforts of kindness, availability makes more sense that big help when it's too late, more insight ma
ReplyDeleteVery true, and grateful 😇😇😇😇😊😊😊 for the engagement too
ReplyDelete